Yesterday, we said goodbye to my father-in-law, Campbell's Pop-Pop and namesake, James Mathews. He passed peacefully last week after an incredibly strong and hard fight against cancer.
Yesterday, Rick and others shared beautiful memories of this courageous and loving man. I'm terrible at keeping it together during sad times, especially while watching those I love suffer, but I wanted to pay my own tribute to a great man who raised three remarkable children and set such a brilliant example as a husband and father.
So, here's what I want my son, to know about his Pop Pop:
He was witty and smart. Sometimes I didn't even know what his jokes meant but I laughed along anyway because I knew he was so wise, and I soaked it up.
He was an animal lover, like you. He loved his fur babies and took care of the animals up north who roamed the area. He loved watching and feeding the birds, and he wouldn't hurt a fly.
He taught his children to think for themselves, be passionate about what they believe in, and stand up for the people and things they care about. That is not easy to do, but he did it by example.
He was a fantastic fisherman and made a mean fish fry. He taught me how to hook my own worm and was the only one who was allowed to call me "Gill" (as in Blue Gill, the fish). He was also the only person I'd wake up at four in the morning to go fishing with. That's love.
He was one of the warmest, most understanding and loving men I have known and loved. He always told me he loved me, even before I married your dad. He already had a wonderful daughter, but treated me like his own anyway. He worshiped your Nanny and treated her like the queen she is. In fact, he treated everyone like they were royalty because his heart was that big.
He loved you. Oh, how he loved you. He loved making you laugh, he loved watching you play with the dogs, and he loved trying to teach you to say Oskee Wow Wow. He was so proud to share his name with you, and I know you will continue to make him proud as you keep him in your heart and think of him every time you sign your name.
My heart aches and I miss him very much. I know it will take time to heal, and I feel so lucky to have my little boy to remind me of this incredible man every time I look at him. What a gift to us all.
What a beautiful tribute to your father in law. Cam will so appreciate these words some day.
ReplyDelete