I really enjoy reading about other people's typical days. I also am kind of mad I don't have more records of what my days looked like with only one baby. I bet I had so much free time! (Yeah, right!) Anyway, here's what a typical day looks like in our household. On this particular day, it was a Friday, the one day a week we have no scheduled activities (no camps, no classes, no appts).
5:00 am -- Teddie wakes to eat. I feed her a bottle and put her back to sleep
6:00 am -- Teddie stirs and needs to fart/get her paci back. Rick takes over
7:00 am -- Rick brings me Teddie who is still really squirmy but half asleep, so I hold her until she wakes up for good around 7:15
7:15 am -- Teddie and I hang in the bedroom, then head downstairs. Change her diaper, put on dry clothes for her (she's a big spitter!!)
7:30 -- Rick gets Campbell and brings him downstairs to hang out with me and T. I'm drinking my second cup of coffee, Cam is playing with his new pizza set from Mimi, and Teddie is in her swing.
7:45 am -- both kids want to eat. Cam gets breakfast, T gets a bottle. Tidy up the kitchen, empty dishwasher, sweep the floors and wipe down counters. I put a load of laundry in.
8:30 am -- I put T in the carseat to snooze because we are going to leave the house around 9:00 am to head downtown. Get myself and Campbell dressed.
9:00 am -- load up the kids in the car and head to Mimi's apartment downtown to say hi. We hang with her and Allie comes by to say hello, too!
9:30 am -- Teddie is awake once we arrive at Mimi's so I feed her
10:30 am -- we head to the zoo across the street from Mimi's apartment. Cam loves the tractor at the farm, so we play and hang around there. Cam eats a snack in the stroller and Teddie nods off.
10:50 -- Teddie falls asleep in the stroller
11:30 -- T is up again, and eats again!
*(she's been catnapping more frequently when we are out and about, but she normally takes a great long nap in the middle of the day when Campbell naps, too!)*
12:00 -- get in the car and head back home. (T screams he entire drive home. Campbell makes me play Let it Go on repeat. Fun times!)
12:30 -- home and Cam eats lunch. I feed Teddie the rest of her bottle (I have to force her to finish bottles during the day or she won't get enough to eat! She's definitely NOT my daughter when it comes to eating!)
1:00 -- both kids are ready for a nap. I wrap Teddie in her swaddle me, put the paci in and place her in the swing. She's out within minutes. Campbell goes upstairs, we read a story together, put on his sleep sack and he's in bed. He is not going to sleep though, he's singing and talking and playing with his stuffed animals. I fold laundry, wipe down bathroom counters, sweep the floors and sort through mail/emails.
2:30 -- Cam finally passes out. This is VERY unlike him. He normally falls asleep instantly. He told me his tummy hurt in the car, so perhaps he's not feeling great.
3:40 -- Teddie wakes up and gets a bottle.
4:00 -- I decide to wake Cam up because if he sleeps much later he won't fall asleep at bedtime. He wants a snack and we play in the living room/outside on the patio while Teddie practices tummy time.
4:30 -- Rick comes home early as a surprise! I fold some laundry and entertain T while Rick and Cam play together and take Maizey for a walk.
5:00 -- Teddie is getting tired (as am I) so we snooze together on the couch while Rick and Campbell play in the basement.
6:00 -- T is awake and gets fed again. Cam gets dinner, too!
6:30 -- I get dressed and ready because we have a babysitter coming! Rick and I leave for dinner with another couple for the evening.
10:00 -- We get home. (Wild ones we are!) Cam was in bed at 8:00. Teddie was awake when we got home so I fed her and put her to bed. Rick and I watch an episode of Breaking Bad (we are officially addicted.)
3:00 am -- Teddie wakes up to eat. She eats for about 10 minutes, then goes back to sleep.
5:30 am -- T wakes up for the paci. Pop it in, and she's back out.
7:00 am -- up for the day... and we repeat everything above.
Right now, at 3.5 months, Teddie is sleeping through the night (9-5) a few nights a week. Some nights she wakes up at 3 am to eat. Some nights she needs the paci. It's really not consistent. Given the fact that Campbell was waking 8-10 times a night (no exaggeration there) at this point, I'm considering ourselves very lucky that we only have to feed her once or max twice a night.
I really feel like I've got a good routine down with both kids. I'm lucky that Cam is great at entertaining himself right now. I'm also lucky that Teddie is generally a happy baby and I can leave her for short periods of time when Cam needs me. The only thing I really am trying to work on is getting home cooked meals prepared more regularly. Right now, I'm able to plan/shop/cook for about 3 days a week. Rick and I both agree that it's going to take a bit more time for me to figure it all out (without any help to watch the kids, running to get a couple of eggs or something last minute is not easy!) Nevertheless, we are making it all work and somehow, we aren't just surviving right now. I'd say we are thriving.
So that's what our day looks like in general. I look forward to more regular nap times and early bedtimes, but for now, I'm taking it all in stride and trying to continuously remind myself that "the days are long, but the years are so short!"
I loved reading about your day! Makes me want to keep a log of our days as well. :)
ReplyDeleteWay to go, T on sleeping so well for your mommy and daddy!! Such a blessing that you know us "first child never ever slept" parents SO appreciate! Ha! Glad both Teddie and Camille got the sleep memo.
Love reading about other people's days. Sounds just perfect!
ReplyDelete