A Dose of Happiness

A Dose of Happiness

Monday, July 18, 2011

Clearing Out and Getting Crafty!

Yesterday, Rick and I held a garage sale to get rid of the years worth of stuff we had piled up in our storage spaces, closets and hiding in corners. Believe it or not, we had a lot to get rid of and I have been looking at the enormous junk pile for weeks waiting to sell it, donate it or just plain throw it away. So I woke up motivated and ready to put on my sweet sales-lady smile!

We woke up early to set up the space...


The morning started of pretty busy with a few customers who each bought an item or two. We even had one woman return after leaving initially because she really wanted our laundry hamper... go figure.

To pass the time, Rick and I perused a baby name book and shouted out names to each other across the garage. Each time one of us suggested something, it was usually met with a prompt, "Nah" or "Seriously?" or "bleep NO!" from the other. Once we gave up on that pasttime, I decided to get crafty. I had seen on a website earlier in the week a cute idea for baby closet organizers. Essentially they were expensive dividers to separate baby clothes on the hanging rods of closets. I thought I could totally make those myself, so I went to the craft store, bought some supplies and here's what 6 hours of garage sale monitoring led to:


I plan to use the ribbon to tie it onto the closet rod and hopefully start out with a very organized, very green storage space!

Meanwhile, the sun was blazing and it was a crisp 90-something degrees outside, so by 2:00, Rick and I were both exhausted and so hot we could barely speak to one another. We decided to post an ad on Craigslist advertising that the last hour of our sale would be a free-for-all. Literally... come take whatever you want for FREE! Well, a sweet little family must have read our minds and came by. They were about to have a baby and just bought a new apartment and needed stuff. We helped them load their truck full of everything we had in the garage... seriously they took EVERYTHING! They were so sweet, they didn't want to take it all for free so they gave us a $20 and we thanked them profusely for taking this junk off our hands. Everyone left feeling very accomplished and very happy!

The "After"

All in all, it was as successful as I could have hoped -- my house is now de-cluttered which means my mind is a little less cluttered as well.

Hope everyone's staying cool out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment