A Dose of Happiness

A Dose of Happiness

Friday, November 18, 2011

Cam's Bris

Yesterday was a rough day. More so for me than Cam -- he was a real trooper. I have never actually attended a bris before, so I really didn't know what to expect. Note to new moms -- expect to cry! I definitely weeped more than the patient did, partly from hearing his wails during the procedure and partly from hormonal emotions. Overall, it was a really special day filled with emotions I can hardly describe in words.

The ceremony was really beautiful as we got to honor many of our family members who have and will play a major role in Cam's life. Campbell's middle name is James which is also his grandfather, Rick's dad, name. When Rick and I were trying to pick a name for Cam, we knew we wanted to name him after someone we knew would have a strong influence over him. We wanted his name to remind him of where he comes from and to give him an example to emulate as he grows up. Despite going against the Jewish tradition of naming only after those who are no longer with us, neither Rick nor I hesitated for a minute when choosing his middle name.


Campbell's Hebrew name was announced at the bris. His name is Arnon -- after my late grandfather, Arnold Voticky. Though I never had the chance to meet my dad's dad, I know what kind of man he was because of the kind of man my father is. I know that my grandfather loved my dad more than anything. I know he was a man who held family close to his heart and who would do anything to make sure his family was safe and happy. Our hope for Cam is that he will always remember his great-grandfather's influence on this family and carry on our family traditions and values.



During the ceremony, many blessings were read. As Rick and I read the Parent's Blessing over our son, I couldn't keep it together. The tears streamed down my face as I realized my baby was already a week old. As we wished upon him health and happiness, I couldn't help but envision time flying by as he grows up. To try and describe the feelings and emotions I had and still have about this sweet baby boy is pointless. There are no words that could adequately encompass the amount of love I have for something I've only known for 9 days.

While I have to admit I was a bit traumatized by the whole ordeal yesterday, it was so beautiful to have all our family (minus some very important aunts and uncles!) in one room celebrating the arrival of our little peanut. He is one blessed little boy to have so many people who love him and who will watch over him for the years to come.








No comments:

Post a Comment