A Dose of Happiness

A Dose of Happiness

Saturday, March 17, 2012

No Judgment

My sister sent me this article a few days ago, and I had seen it before, but when I read it over again today it struck a chord. Hard.

I, like so many women, am guilty of judging those around me. I'm guilty of passing judgment on my family, friends and the ones I love. It's not something I'm proud of. In fact, I feel anxious and tense when I think someone is judging me so I feel terrible for inflicting those feelings on someone else. For some reason, we women are really good at passing judgment. And as soon as I became a mom, I realized that mothers are some of the worst judgers out there.

So, starting today I am making a vow to judge no more. I promise to remember that everyone's situation is unique and I'll never know exactly what they're each going through. I'll remind myself that when others want to judge me for formula feeding, it's because they don't know why I had to stop nursing. When they want to judge me for letting my baby cry it out to learn to sleep, it's because they don't understand why I've had to let him sleep on me for four months. And when they feel the need to look down upon my use of disposable diapers (which I realize are filling up a landfill!), I know it's because they can't comprehend how disgusted I am at the thought of putting poop in my laundry machine. I promise to remind myself each day that I'm just doing the best I can. Period.

To all you women out there, especially moms, I applaud you for doing the best you can. Keep up the freaking hard work!

No comments:

Post a Comment