#8: Reconnect with an old friend.
Truthfully, I'm happy to report that I've reconnected with a couple of old friends, but there's one friend in particular whom I am so happy to have spent some time with recently. My very first year teaching, I worked at a charter school called Octavio Paz (An UNO Charter School). My "supervisor/mentor" was a beautiful, young (about my age!) lady named Carrie. She spent hours with me in my classroom modeling lessons, listening to me cry, giving me feedback and helping me wade through my first year in that heart-wrenching place. When I decided to move on from UNO and got a job in another district, Carrie was the first one I told. She was beyond thrilled for me, knowing UNO was not a perfect match for me. On the last day of school, we held our school staff party at my house and Carrie asked if we could go downstairs so she could tell me something in private. She said she couldn't let everyone know right now, but she wanted me to know that she had just accepted a job at the SAME district I would be teaching at the following year. We would be teaching together again!
Carrie and I worked at different schools in Glenview, but we were both third grade teachers so we met often at district meetings, we collaborated on several committees together and we developed a really wonderful friendship. When I left my job last year after Campbell was born, Carrie and I lost touch. The reality is, when you have a baby, you realize quickly who your real friends are. And, you have to put in a lot more effort to stay connected with the non-mom ones. I tried and tried, but ultimately, I failed at making that effort with many people, but I knew in the end, the "good and important" ones would be there when I tried again. And, just a few weeks ago, Carrie and I started chatting and realized we hadn't seen each other in person in about a year and decided it was time to put that to an end. So, on a snowy Sunday morning we met at Starbucks. I told Rick I'd be home in about an hour to take over Mommy duties. Two hours later, I called him to apologize because the time had gotten away from us. Carrie and I had so much catching up to do and it literally felt like we hadn't missed a beat. I know she's one of those friends who will always be there ready to pick up where we left off, and it is so comforting to know there are still people surrounding me like that. That's what true friendship is.
#17: Eat oysters
I'm not sure why I put this on my list other than because I've always found oysters to be intriguing and I feel like I've become way more adventurous with my culinary choices since dating Rick. I always have wanted to try oysters, but seemed to chicken out when the time came. Well, the time came and I conquered.
Allie and Hart treated us to a wonderful dinner at Epic last weekend, and the waiter was boasting about the freshness of their oysters and Rick gave me that look and says, "wanna knock it off your list!?" I got nervous like a teenager getting ready for prom, but I nodded and we did it. In fact, not only did I eat an oyster, I ate two. I didn't think it tasted like much, to be honest, but I didn't hate them. I'd definitely try them again.
Thanks to my wonderful mother-in-law, I'm almost ready to complete #11, and Rick has given me his official list to help me accomplish #21. I've modified #10 for reasons I'll explain later (and because it's my list... I can do what I want). I just ordered parts of #4, and I'm experimenting with recipes for #16. So, basically I'm killing it!
Here's what the list looks like as of today!
- Go an entire week without straightening my hair
- Go to a movie by myself
- Read a book from high school that I never actually read
- Wear a bikini for the first time. EVER.
Get involved in a new organization- Get my eyebrows threaded
- Pay for someone's meal anonymously
Reconnect with an old friend- Go unplugged for an entire day (no internet or TV)
- Climb a rock wall*
- Dress up and have drinks/dinner at the Drake Hotel
- Visit the Holocaust Museum in Skokie, IL
- Sing karaoke in public
Go to a Chicago landmark I haven't visited- Surprise someone
- Submit a recipe for the Pillsbury bake off
Eat oysters- Visit somewhere new (city, state or country)
Organize something I've been neglecting- Try a new class at the gym
- Watch 5 movies on Rick's Must-See List
- Take Cam on a special mommy-son date
- Go camping
- Learn about a relative/ancestor I don't know much about
- Grow an herb garden
- Take a class to pursue an interest
- Attend a new Summer Chicago festival
- Get a spray tan
- Ride the ferris wheel at Navy Pier
- Let go of insecurities and be truly content with who I am
I love the 30 before 30 idea, and love your list! I don't have many months left before turning the big 3-oh, but I might have to try 31 before 31. :)
ReplyDeletehttp://d-and-s-macke.blogspot.com
You go girl!
ReplyDeletei'll help you with #10 whenever you want :) i'm a professional afterall :) XO-lori
ReplyDeleteTotally echo your thoughts on catching up with old friends. I reconnected with one at Christmas.....Christmas Eve in fact....and it was soooo out-of-a-Lifetime-movie, I cannot even tell you. And it felt SO great to have that friendship again!
ReplyDelete