The more and more I talk to pregnant women and read message boards, the more I've come to realize that one of the unspoken symptoms of pregnancy is complaining! If it's not about peeing every hour, it's about swollen ankles or dry skin. If it's not about husbands who don't understand what it feels like to carry a person around all day it's about the woman at the grocery store who rudely stared at the big belly. While I'm sure I do plenty of my own complaining, I think it's important to also recognize the "plus" side of being 20+ pounds heavier, moodier than ever, and generally uncomfortable. So here's my take on the top ten reasons I'm enjoying pregnancy (other than the obvious one that I'm creating a life, yada yada yada):
10. I get to wear spandex as much as I want without feeling too casual or inappropriate.
9. I don't need pedicures as often because I can't see my feet anyway.
8. I can eat ice cream for dinner without feeling guilty.
7. My house seems to be cleaner because I get wiffs of every piece of dirt and dust with my superhuman sense of smell.
6. Rick gives really good back rubs and foot rubs.
5. People let me cut in line at the port-a-potty line while tailgaiting.
4. The look on Rick's face when he gets to feel the baby move. Melts my heart. Every time.
3. I've made new friends because we have something in common that no one else can quite understand until they experience it themselves.
2. I get spoiled with goodies like these:
Yes, Allie brought back a bag-o-Canadianess from her trip to Montreal last weekend. Kraft Dinner, Felix and Norton cookies and maple sugar candies!
1. But the number one reason I have enjoyed being pregnant so far is that I have quickly learned in the last 8 months that the little things in life just don't matter as much anymore. Growing a person really puts life in perspective, and I feel the most grounded and centered right now than I ever have. The stresses of teaching aren't so stressful, and people's comments and judgments don't seem to bring me to tears (though scenes from My Best Friend's Wedding still do). I can only hope that this feeling doesn't wither away once Baby M makes his arrival. Now, my waistline... that's a different story.
No comments:
Post a Comment