A Dose of Happiness

A Dose of Happiness

Monday, September 26, 2011

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

I love baking with pumpkin and I wait every Fall until it's cool enough to whip out the orange stuff and put it in whatever I possibly can. If there's one recipe I'm known for, this is it. A few years ago, I came across this gem of a recipe, and ever since, pumpkins have never been looked at quite the same among our friends and family.


A couple days ago, Adrienne told me she read an article that said there was a pumpkin shortage and that canned pumpkin would be hard to come by this season. This happened last year, and I remember sending Rick all over town (literally) to find me cans of pumpkin. While at the grocery store yesterday, I noticed there was no pumpkin and slightly panicked. So, I learned my lesson from last year, and today after school I went to Target and bought their entire stock of canned pumpkin that was left on the shelves... which wasn't much!


The lady at the check-out counter looked at my belly, then asked if I was craving pumpkin.


I offered to make dessert for Rosh Hashanah dinner on Wednesday, so I came home today to make the first batch of whoopie goodness of the season. The house smells of the holidays, my tummy is aching from tasting too much frosting, and Maizey is currently licking all the spillage off the floor for me. I'd say it was a successful start to pumpkin season! 

I thought I'd share the recipe, but am a bit hesitant because now you will all realize how simple it really is. Nevertheless, here it goes: 



Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, 1 stick melted, 1/2 stick softened
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup canned pure pumpkin puree
  • 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon plus 2 pinches salt
  • 1-2/3 cups flour
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, chilled
  • 1 cup confectioners' sugar 
 
Directions:
1.     Preheat the oven to 350°. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2.     In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter and brown sugar until smooth. Whisk in the eggs, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, 1 teaspoon vanilla, the baking powder, the baking soda and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the flour.
3.     Using an ice cream scoop or tablespoon, drop 12 generous mounds of batter, spaced evenly, onto each baking sheet. Bake until springy to the touch, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely. 

I use a regular spoon to dollop the batter onto the baking sheets. I like the organic look of the cakes being uneven and not perfect.

They should be slightly golden when coming out of the oven.

4.     Meanwhile, using an electric mixer, cream the softened butter with the cream cheese. Add the confectioners' sugar and the remaining 2 pinches salt and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla; mix on low speed until blended, then beat on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. 

Who doesn't like fresh cream cheese frosting??

5.     Spread the flat side of 12 cakes with the cream cheese frosting. Top each with another cake.
 


The Final Product: 
 


I always make a double batch. One batch is never enough... plus, if Rick and Jigar don't get to eat leftover icing out of a bowl then I usually get grumpy looks and comments from them. Best to avoid grumpy, hungry men. 

Oh, and if anyone in Chicago finds a store that's carrying canned pumpkin... let me know, or better, buy me their stock and I'll bake you some whoopies! 

2 comments:

  1. just made these for our supper club get together tonight. OH MY YUM! i taste-tested a few too many :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're dangerously good... be careful! xo :)

    ReplyDelete