A Dose of Happiness

A Dose of Happiness

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Barefoot in the Kitchen

It's so funny how there are moments in my daily life when I stop, look at myself and internally giggle for realizing I've achieved my "dream." You see, ever since I was a little kid, my dream has been to be a mom. A dinner-making, laundry-folding, carpool-running mom. And there are moments when I stop and think, "Oh my gosh. I'm here. I did it."

My book club (of which I'm the only stay-at-home mom) met last night. We read Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg. I have to admit, I wasn't interested in the book, the conversation, or the ideas behind it. Her argument that more women need to be in more powerful positions in the world, hire nannies, make more money and stop conforming to gender stereotypes didn't appeal to me. And I'll tell you why... I don't want to be powerful. Or hire a nanny. Or make more money. I want to be exactly where I am...  having a dance party with my son for the eighth time because he thinks it's hilarious. That is success.

I'm tired of the mommy wars. I'm tired of people judging me for "giving up" a career to stay at home. I'm tired of my working mom friends feeling like they need to defend their decision about going back to work. I'm tired of reading blog posts where moms have to defend their choices. I'm just tired of it. So instead of diving deeper into my thoughts and feelings on the subject, let me leave with you some food for thought.

Literally.

I've made some amazing and easy recipes lately and I want to share them! I whipped out the Crock Pot about a month ago when the temperatures dipped below 70 and I decided it was Fall. I made this delicious taco soup, this awesome tortilla soup, this yummy version of chicken chili, and this delicious queso for a special football Saturday. They were all delicious and I was able to freeze leftovers for each (other than the queso).

I'm planning to make these vegetarian enchiladas this week, too. And let me tell you, I'm pretty darn excited and proud that this is how I'll be spending my evening one day this week. At home, barefoot in the kitchen.

2 comments:

  1. Amen, friend! Going to check out these recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I with you - being a mother and Mothering as a career was always a goal of mine too. There are moments when I stop and worry that my 13+ years at home make me unemployable and I worry about "wasting" my college degree, but right now I'm happy and why shouldn't women also get credit for whatever path we chose?

    ReplyDelete