A Dose of Happiness

A Dose of Happiness

Friday, November 1, 2013

Time for an Update

I'm alive! It's true! I have no idea who is still out there reading this, but if you are, I think it's time for an update.

I'm not sure how to explain my absence on the blog. There is no concrete reason I stopped writing. In a way, it gave me some time to actually focus on life and stop worrying about documenting every single thing. Instead of thinking, "oooh I need a picture of this for the blog!" I felt more engaged in the moment during every day events and special occasions. But, I do miss writing and connecting with the people I've met through this blog. And, I miss documenting the adorableness that is Campbell. So, I'm back. Here we go. (Be warned... this may be long!)

Okay so let's start with a little Campbell update. He's turning two next weekend. Yes. TWO! I honestly don't know where the last year went, but he's grown into this independent, spunky little guy who has more personality than I know what to do with. He's still obsessed with cars and trucks and can name almost every construction vehicle, type of truck and car you never knew existed. He's really smart and it sometimes freaks me and Rick out. He has a crazy memory. In the last month, he's become very musical and will sing a whole list of songs. Some of his favorites are "Happy Birthday", a couple of Elmo songs from a video he's watched, "Roar" by Katy Perry (no joke), and the ABCs. He has a ton of energy and loves to run, jump and climb on everything. He's all boy. He's still my picky eater. It hasn't gotten worse since the last time I wrote at 18 months old, but it hasn't necessarily improved. He refuses to touch meat. I hid a teeny-tiny piece of hot dog in his lunch one day and you would have thought he had tasted poison. It was traumatic, and I haven't tried since. He eats something from every food group and takes a multi-vitamin every day so I'm not worried about his nutrition (especially since he is still a very big kid). But it's frustrating and I am trying to just let it be instead of fighting it.

He's typicality he passive kid you see in the sandbox who will stare down another kid with a toy but won't every swipe it from him. He's also very mild tempered and doesn't get angry or mad when other kids bother him or steal from him. (Except his cousin Izzy, in which case he's become quite assertive. I think it's because they have grown up together and they act more like brother and sister). I'm grateful for his self-control and the rarity of tantrums. I think because he's so verbal, he's pretty good at telling us what he needs and gets less frustrated than other two-year olds who may have a harder time communicating.

Needless to say, that doesn't mean we haven't had some very real glimpses into the Terrible Twos. Mainly, he wants to do a lot of things his way. He likes telling us, "NO!" to just about any question or command we give him. He doesn't like to transition from activities (i.e., leaving the park). But it's not as bad as it could be, and I keep reminding myself of that. He's still my rock star sleeper and I am so beyond grateful for that. Still taking a 2-3 hour nap daily and sleeping 11 hours at night (usually 8 pm-7 am).

However, sleep is something I've been struggling with lately. Why? Because of this...


Yup. We are pregnant. I'm 18 weeks along right now, and yes we will be finding out the gender. That's scheduled for the week before Thanksgiving!


Oh, and we just bought a house. In the suburbs.


Talk about a lot going on at once. For someone like me who likes to plan, overanalyze, think, plan some more and then re-evaluate those plans, it's been a whirlwind and I've been losing a little sleep over all of it. Add on some pregnancy insomnia, and let's just say I'm very grateful that HGTV plays House Hunters at 2 am.

But aside from the worrying and planning and minor panic attacks when I think about having two kids and listing our condo and packing and unpacking and sleep deprivation... we are so beyond excited about expanding our family and moving into a house that we will raise our children in.

This house needs a lot of TLC but it's in the perfect place in the perfect school district. Actually our kids will go to the school I used to teach at, which is crazy to think about it. We didn't seek that out, but it happened and I'm sticking with the motto, "things happen for a reason." We hope to close December 17, and start some major renovations the next day. Right now we are interviewing contractors and coming up with plans and ideas. Our hope is to move into the new house at the beginning of March. We may just drop off our boxes on the way to Labor and Delivery!

So that's what's new. And so much more... so glad to be back.

7 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I saw that you commented on the Something Beautiful blog and I realized that I hadn't checked your blog for awhile. I'm glad to see that you are blogging again - and congrats on your wonderful baby news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad the word is out! Congrats a millions times over. . . I cannot wait to learn what you guys are having. Either way it will be wonderful.

    And congrats on the house! I am a HGTV fanatic and love that Love It Or List It show. Lots of fun ideas in terms of house renovations.

    Oh, and if you are ever awake at 2-5am just text me. Pregnancy insomnia has gotten the best of both of us apparently! :)

    xo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you're back...I've been wondering how y'all were doing. I always like to read Cambell's updates since he's a few months ahead of Carter.
    Congrats on baby #2! So exciting! I feel like I have so many friends right now who are expecting baby #2 and moving...must be our age group. Good luck with everything. We are expecting #2 and #3 (twins! girls!) in April as well! It will be a busy spring for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back!!! Your life is so full of awesome right now - congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww congrats!! You will love life with two!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats Gillian!! So so happy for you guys - I had no idea you were expecting! I would love to get the boys together while you guys are still in the city :) It has absolutely been too long, and I'm so happy you're writing again (I too loved your updates since Cam is 6 months ahead of Colin, and I appreciate the preview of what's ahead).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, congrats!!! So excited for you - for being the mom of a TWO year old!!! For having number two on the way, and for the house!! So many blessings being poured upon you guys!

    ReplyDelete