Rick's colleague and friend who has been incredibly gracious to us with his legal services, recently had a baby girl. Rick asked me to put together a gift for him and his wife, and I obviously got giddy at the thought of buying ruffles and bows and pink tutus. Until I took a step back and remembered all the fluff we received as gifts when Cam was born and how most of that stuff never got worn or used because he lived in onesies and bibs for the first few months.
So, I decided to put together a basket full of our favorite baby things. I tried to think of things that you don't typically receive as gifts as well as some things that we couldn't have survived without.
Aiden and Anais Burpy Bibs: These things are the ONLY bibs we have that we use. They have a snap closure and can be used as burp cloths or bibs. They're thick and absorbent and the only bibs that kept Cam clean and dry during his pukey months.
Bath Thermometer: No one thinks of this one, but Rick and I have very different opinions about how hot a shower should be. I like it scalding; him not so much. So when it was time to give Cam his first bath, we didn't know whose hands would be best for testing the water... enter the thermometer. Plop it in the bath, no guess work, easy peasy.
MAM Glow in the dark pacifiers: Every baby prefers their own brand of pacifiers. For the first few months when Cam used a paci, he only could keep the MAM brand in his mouth. The reason I am a huge fan of the MAMs is because they also make a glow in the dark version of their pacis! Makes those 2 am searches for the "baby plug" a lot easier.
Zip front Sleep n Plays: One night of using snap pajamas was enough to convince us that until a baby sleeps through the night, he/she should only be wearing zipper jammies. Snapping pajamas with one eye open in the dark didn't work for this sista. We loved the Target brand and Gerber sleep n plays!
The list could go on. Seriously, I packed that basket full of stuff, but I'll spare you.
I also have my own opinions on some things that really aren't worth your time or effort. For those friends of mine who are about to embark on parenthood for the first time, here are my two unsolicited cents :)
Wipe Warmers/Bottle Warmers: Don't do it. My sister advised me of this and it very may well have been the best piece of unsolicited advice I received. Consider this -- what happens when you're out in a store or at a restaurant and it's time to feed or change your baby but he/she refuses to eat the room temperature bottle you have with you because it's not warmed up as he/she is used to? Cam has never had a warmed up bottle, and he's just fine. Tue, a cold wipe on a baby's tush may startle him/her at first, but just like anything else in life, they get used to it.
Crib Bumpers: It's just not worth it. Yes, they're adorable and you may think they'll save your baby's head from bumps and bruises, but the risks associated with suffocation and SIDS is just not worth it. I'm pretty sure no one dies from a bruise or a leg caught in a slat, but SIDS is too scary for me to mess around with. Chicago became the first city to ban the sale of crib bumpers this year, and it's just another reason I'm so proud to call this city my home. (I realize this one is controversial... just my opinion).
Sleep Sheep Noise Machine: This very popular item just isn't worth it in my opinion, and let me tell you why. First, it only runs for 45 minutes then turns off. You see, since we brought Cam home he's been sleeping with a noise machine on. It's become his signal for sleep, so when he stirs in the middle of the night, he goes back to sleep with that soothing sound. How is a sleep sheep that only plays for 45 minutes supposed to do that?? Second, it doesn't get very loud. Cam likes him some LOUD ocean wave sounds. Instead, we bought a noise machine from Target for $20 that has multiple settings, sounds, lights, etc. and stays on all night long. In fact, he's slept through fireworks, city noises, Maizey barking up a
storm, and more because of this sweet piece of technology. Sheep's cute, but cute only gets you so far.
Worry: I swear, everything I worried about (Cam never sleeping in his crib, Cam never eating solid food, Cam never getting rid of the pacifier, etc.) was such a waste of time. I'm a worry wart as it is, but seriously it all works out because as these little humans get older and bigger, they are just able to handle more and adjust more easily to new situations. I'm holding all of you responsible for reminding me of this when Baby #2 arrives and I'm freaking out about something that seems so insurmountable at the time.
So there you have it: a great idea for a new baby gift and some advice you never asked for!
i cringed reading about that dang sleep sheep! ugh what a WASTE! i remember during those hard newborn months with durham i took the white noise thing out of the sheep and would put it in the swing with him. if i lost track of time to reset it he would wake the instant it turned off at 45 mins. after about a week of that madness i remembered (newborn mommy brain is the worst) that i could go to the store and buy an actual white noise machine that wouldn't turn off and would be LOUD enough. best $ spent!
ReplyDeleteI totally agree! We have a sleep sheep and it is so not worth the money. Why in the world would they program it to turn off after 45 minutes? Boo!
DeleteI have one of the A&A burp cloths and so wish I had more. We also have the turtle Bath Thermometer and I love it!
ReplyDelete