A Dose of Happiness

A Dose of Happiness

Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Magic of Mimi

To say my mom has been a God send would be an understatement. I could think of a million words to describe her -- a saint, overly generous, unconditionally helpful and loving -- none of which adequately sum up the gratitude I have for her. She has spent the last month here helping me prepare for Cam's arrival and has made our transition to parenthood smoother than I could have ever imagined. I could never repay her for the sacrifices she has made to be here. I could never thank her enough for the hours she has spent rocking and holding and singing silly songs to my son so I could try to take a nap or a shower or just eat something.

I can not imagine what the last month would have been like without her, and I'm so grateful that I don't have to. I know I am fortunate, and I thank my lucky stars every day that I have a mother who drops everything to be there for her children and grandchildren.

I always knew I had a Supermom growing up -- she always had food ready for our friends when they came over; she came to every dance recital, gymnastics practice and birthday party that we had scheduled. She wrote notes in our lunchboxes and picked us up on time from school every day. She was never late. Not once. I just never really appreciated how amazing she was until I had a child of my own. Tears are forming as I write this, thinking about how much she has done for me and my sisters over the last thirty-something years that I didn't show my gratitude for. I've only been a mom for three weeks, and they have been the most trying three weeks of my life so far. But, I am confident that I am not going to ruin this child and he will grow up with a mom who knows no limits when it comes to love because I have had the best role model to pave the way for me.

Thank you, Mom, for all you have done for us -- this past month and all the months leading up to this. The only way I can think of to repay you is to try to live up to the standard you have set.

No comments:

Post a Comment