A Dose of Happiness

A Dose of Happiness

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Chatter Box

Over the last two weeks, Campbell's vocabulary has blown up. Before this, he really didn't have any meaningful words other than "dada" (which still means both mommy and daddy right now). Perhaps being cooped up for two weeks at home with a nasty virus helped him learn new things or maybe he's just growing up. But here's a list of what he's saying these days:

  • ba (ball)
  • duh (dog)
  • hhhhaa (hat)
  • wa-wa (water)
  • wow!

Yesterday he said, "nooo" when I asked him if he wanted to eat something. I'm not sure if it was a fluke or if he's learned NO, but I'm a little worried about that one starting already. He also says "naneee" and "dooooo" and "aaaat" a lot but I'm not sure what they mean. He started saying "ma" yesterday after much coercion from me, though I don't think it's got much meaning yet.

His receptive language has really blossomed as well. At his twelve month appointment, Dr. T told me he really understands more than I think and I should challenge him. So, the teacher in me thought, "if my expectations aren't high, how we will he achieve greatness!?" and I have really been trying to ask him to do things on his own, show me things, and build upon what he already knows. He has proven that he can follow a simple instruction ("climb on your chair," "go pick a book," "find the ball"). He knows how to open and close things and he's working on putting items into a bin or bucket.

He responds very well (and maybe too sensitively at times) to redirection. While I constantly have to remind him not to dump out Maizey's water bowl or pull on the computer cord, as soon as I use my "teacher" voice, he stops what he's doing and makes a pouty face. Sometimes he whines as if to say, "but I want to!" and sometimes he cries. Sometimes he stops and goes right back to doing what he's not supposed to be doing. But it amazes me that even without saying, "no" he knows that I mean business.


Here's a little video I took of him this morning saying a couple of his words so you can hear his sweet voice.




He's a smarty pants.

1 comment: