A Dose of Happiness

A Dose of Happiness

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Keeping it Real

I wrote back here about my problem with blogs. They highlight all the glitter and glory of life. Only the pictures of sweet children frolicking in flowers are posted, only stories of roaring laughter and warm fuzzies emerge. It's the same thing with Facebook and Instagram and every other social media site. We put our lives on display, only it's not our true lives or selves. We don't talk about the struggles we are battling, the bad hair days, the fights with our husbands, the longing for stability and certainty in an uncertain world.

Interestingly, a lot of bloggers feel this way. Many that I read have started weekly "confessions" or random "disclaimer days" where they reveal the truth behind the blog curtain. I have tried hard to keep this blog as real as possible (I think every post from Cam's birth to six months involved some sort of reference to his crankiness, puking or horrible sleep habits)! But, just like everyone else, it's too easy to post the cute pictures and funny stories and skip the down and dirty truth.

So let's keep it real, y'all.

  • Being a stay at home mom is amazing. Really, it is. I love so much about it, and am sooo happy I get to stay home with my baby every day. But it's really hard. It's lonely. It's difficult when faced with comments like, "how do you keep busy all day?" It's exhausting and sometimes mundane. No, I don't want to go back to work. And, no, I wouldn't trade being at home for a million bucks. But, it's tough stuff.  
  • There are a lot of days when nap time for Cam = couch time for Mommy. And I feel guilty about it. I always get my chores and errands done, but there's always more to be done. But some days, I just don't wanna.  And, I don't. 
  • I have that kid that bites. He means no harm and really I believe he's doing it as a way of "kissing" me and his dad, but the other day he tried to "kiss" his friend and I was mortified when her parents had to stop him from attacking her. I have marks on my shoulders from him. I don't want my kid to be that kid.
  • I've been quite annoyed lately with Baby-ism I've encountered in society. Yes, Baby-ism: the discrimination against those with babies. Men's restroom stalls without baby changing stations? Come on, it's 2012!  Stores without shopping carts to plunk your child and ridiculously large diaper bag in? Ya, I'm not shopping with you anymore. Restaurants with no highchairs, storefronts with no ramp for a stroller (or wheelchair, more importantly!). I'm just annoyed.
    • I'm obsessed with Pinterest and it's making me broke. I've put myself on a spending freeze for the next week or two. No crafts or buying cute baby stuff. No purchases other than diapers and formula. Let's see how that goes.
    • I have a lot of guilt. Mommy guilt, Jewish guilt, friend guilt, money guilt, wife guilt, and on and on. It's one of the things I am least proud of and am constantly working on telling myself to just let things go. Hard stuff.
      • I'm finding that Rick and I have become trapped in the "We're So Busy" spiral. I feel like we have been so busy every weekend with events, traveling, visitors, and parties that we haven't had a chance to just enjoy our time as a family. We don't have a free weekend on our calendar until December. I told him last night that we are putting a moratorium on traveling and major plans for the month of January. We're saying "no" (without guilt!!). So, don't be offended if you invite us to something and we decline. We made a pact. 

      There's a lot more I could confess, but I'd hate to put off any readers and scare them away. We'll keep it real again soon and see how courageous I get. :)

      And, because I last posted a pictureless post, here's a few pics of Campbell from yesterday. Can't get enough of this kid.


        Waiting for Daddy to come home from work...



        Pushing and cruising around!

        1 comment: