A Dose of Happiness

A Dose of Happiness

Friday, September 14, 2012

Our Trip to Texas: According to my iPhone

Two weeks ago, we packed our bags, stroller, carseat, and ourselves and headed to Texas for a week full of Sourthern fun. I decided not to bring our big camera for the sake of my sanity as we were carrying SO many bags, so pardon the update via iPhone pictures (and Ash's camera!)



We flew into Dallas where we met Mimi and Poppy, Ash and Gena for the Michigan/Alabama game. The flight was good and Cam was a great traveler as usual (thank you Lord!), and when we stepped off the jetway it was pretty clear we had arrived in Texas. Man that heat hits you hard! 

We have literally been planning this trip for nearly two years. I think I had just found out I was pregnant when the Cowboy Classic was announced, and Rick immediately declared we would be going. My mom immediately nominated herself as the babysitter, and my dad so generously offered to get us tickets. I'm pretty sure I've written about my habit of looking forward to an event for so long and then as soon as it begins I get sad because I know it will be over so soon. Well, I haven't changed much, and as soon as we touched down in Dallas my heart dropped a bit in my stomach because I knew this ten day long adventure I had been counting down until would be over in a flash.

Nevertheless, Ash met us at our hotel and of course, she was most excited to see Baby Cam and Mimi.


We all got dressed in our Michigan gear and headed out to wander around and eat dinner. The entire city was dressed in red or blue. It was really unbelievable.







 Someone was such a good sport...



We did a bit of shopping and browsing, and I'm pretty sure I got to hold my baby for a solid ten minutes all evening. This kid is one loved munchkin.



 And when he got sleepy, Mimi scooped him up and snuggled him.



Gena flew in from LA and arrived sometime in the middle of the night, and was apparently treated like royalty when she arrived at her living quarters for the weekend.



I hardly slept that night. Between sharing a room with a baby who has sixth sense for his Mama when she's near, the beautiful serenade I received from my lovely husband's nostrils, and the excitement of the big day coming up, I was wound up to say the least! But, bright and early, just as expected, Ash and Gena and a slew of Michigan fans showed up for a breakfast reunion the next morning.

Oh man it was good to see this lady!



Thankfully, she loves me enough that she forgave me for attacking her upon sight and spilling her chai tea all over her. Oops.


We all "ooed" and "ahhed" at each other's gear. 



And we hugged a lot.



Then it was time to kick off the football season. Ash packed her car full of tailgate awesomeness and we headed to the stadium in two separate cars. Picture this: My dad driving me, Campbell and my mom in one car, following Ashley whose driving her car packed full of people. Ashley's excited, anxious and ready to get going so she leads the way in a speedy manner. I'm texting Rick to tell Ash to slow down because my dad is having a field day with his comments. After about twenty minutes of driving, my dad is huffing and puffing that she's going the wrong way. I'm getting more nauseated as the minutes pass, my mom is telling my dad he's going too fast. It was fun. One hour later, we arrived at our tailgate spot, and Rick quietly whispers in my ear, "Poor Ash. She took us to the old stadium at first. Too bad that thing was blown to pieces!"

I digress. We arrived, we poured our beverages and soaked up the 110°F heat.





It was hot. Like hotter than I ever remember being. I seriously don't remember how I lived in that heat for so many years. I guess when you're younger, you don't care as much. But holy hotness, it was hot!



Campbell spent some time at his first tailgate, and then Mimi and Poppy took him back to the hotel to cool off and go to sleep.


And then it was time for the game. Walking into the stadium took my breath away. There's nothing like the Big House, but this stadium stacked up pretty well. Our seats were awesome. First row a few sections up.


This guy was so happy.


We were cautiously optimistic that it would be a fun night and at least a close game, though we knew deep down we didn't really have a chance of winning.


And then the game started. And Rick looked like this for four straight quarters. 


And by the end, we were all a little depressed. A little sad to be defeated. A little sad that the first game was over. And a little sad that we had to battle traffic for an hour+ to get in our beds.



The next morning, we sulked and wallowed and packed up our car for Road Trip o' Fun!


And when we arrived in Austin (via Sonic!) it felt good to be in a new house my parents just moved into but sorta looked like my old home home :) 

Our week in Austin was amazing. Everything I had hoped for and a little more.

Campbell spent a lot of time reading with Mimi...


 
And laughed a lot from Poppy's clucking and tickles.

SO bummed this one is blurry!!
Mimi set up an entire playroom that resembled Disney Land on crack. To say Cam was in love would be an understatement. That kid spent five seconds playing with one thing and quickly moved to another for seven days straight.


 





Asher came back for a couple of days because she missed us and wanted more Campbell lovin'. 





We cooled off in the pool. This kid knows how to chill :)




Cam played the piano and visited the mall, and by the end of the week we were ready to get home.






Thank you, Mimi and Poppy, for hosting us. Thank you Ash for coordinating such a fun tailgate. Thank you Gena for making last minute arrangements and hanging with us for a while down south! 

Happy football season, y'all! 







No comments:

Post a Comment