A Dose of Happiness

A Dose of Happiness

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Sensory Play... For Free!

As a former teacher who used to encourage her students to get dirty, I personally believe in the value of sensory play. I just never knew little babies could benefit from it until I found Pinterest and started reading up on it. Well, I mentioned back here that I'm on a spending freeze (more on how that's going later...) because Pinterest is making me broke. So, I scoured my closets and drawers this week and found some inspiration from various pins I've seen. No money spent... 20 minutes of my time... and two new toys for Baby C.

Sensory Water Bottle



I emptied out an expired jug of juice, ripped of the label and poured water in it about 3/4 full. I added some food coloring, pom poms, glitter and beads (all of which I had stashed in my crafty closet). Taped up the top with duct tape and VIOLA! Cam can eat it, shake it, stare at it and squeal all he wants.... heck if Maizey eats it, I don't care. It was free!



Egg Carton Touch and Feel 



I took an egg carton and some hot glue along with a few objects I found in my junk drawer and crafty closet. Glued the pom poms, beads, a penny and a furniture scuff protector onto the bottom of each egg compartment. Cam can open and close the lid, touch and feel the various textures and try to eat as much as he wants... it's glued down tight, so I'm not worried. Oh and did I mention this was free!?
While it looks like he's terrified of it, he has actually enjoyed playing with it for a few seconds every now and again. Then he chews on the carton...




And, just to be sure I'm "keeping it real," I should probably warn you that my recent productive few days will most likely result in a phone call like this to my husband this afternoon:

1 comment:

  1. What cool ideas! Need to remember these for Clara. :) I am NOT creative or a DIY person but I could maybe pull off these projects! ha!

    ReplyDelete