I love Rachel Maddow. I think she's brilliant, funny, and has taught me a lot. (Sorry Dad!) One of the segments at the end of her show is called The Best New Thing in the World. I'm gonna start my own Best New Thing segment right here on this blog, because, well who doesn't need a little more positivity in their day!?
So, ladies and gentleman, I present to you the Best New Thing (according to me) right now.
Imagine this:
Rick: Hey, babe, I planned a special date night for us this Saturday. We're going to go to dinner and ice skating, and I even lined up a babysitter!
Gill: (tears welling up, smile spreading wider) That is sooo sweet! (Pause) Oh... (insert bad word)! We have dinner plans with ______ already... remember!?!?
Rick: Nope. Didn't remember.
Gill: I told you like 5 months ago when we planned this! You never listen. I'm sorry... thanks for the effort.
(The events above are in fact based on a true story. Minor deletions and insertions have been added for dramatic effect.)
Enter my fabulous friend, Lauren.
![]() |
| Blast from the Past circa 2006 |
She showed me how to "invite" Rick (and other people) to events on my calendar on my iPhone so that our calendars would be synched up. I proceeded to invite Rick to EVERY event in my calendar so that he'd know what
Becca commented that I didn't know this existed because I used to work in the classroom not in corporate America, so excuse me for being slow and it's quite possible all of you reading this already know how revolutionary this is. But for me... well, right now, it's the best new thing ever!
Thanks, Laur! And, Rick... go ahead and feel free to plan another date night any time. Just check the calendar :)

Woah, woah, woah. Slow down there, little lady! Sure, sure, you can change the facts for dramatic effect, but I seem to recall that YOU had forgotten about this dinner yourself! Someone else apparently didn't listen either.
ReplyDeleteAnd as for rescheduling that date, we'll just have to see. My schedule has gotten a lot busier all of the sudden :)
Brandon and I JUST started syncing our calendars as well. You are correct - it is life changing. :)
ReplyDelete