A Dose of Happiness

A Dose of Happiness

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

What Ever Happened to Being a Kid??

This article popped up on my Facebook feed last week. I remember sitting across from Rick on the couch and shouting, "Babe! Listen to this!" because I was that disturbed by it. If you don't have time to read it, here's the headline:

Published on Monday in the journal Pediatrics, an updated policy statement from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) reports that trampolines can cause serious injuries to both younger and older children, and the report discourages parents from allowing their kids to use one.

 Why am I so hot and bothered by trampolines? Well, it isn't really trampolines. It's everything that is too risky, bad and unhealthy for kids anymore. From the foods we feed (or don't) to our children, the toys that cost a bagillion dollars because they will make your baby smarter, and the babyproofing companies that will come to your house to literally de-baby your entire space... it's just too much for me. What's next? Bicycles? Rollerblades?


The other day, I took Cam to an open play place and he was having a hoot playing in the pretend kitchen -- opening and closing the oven, banging the pots together and eating the pretend food. Another mom was nearby nagging her baby (who was roughly the same age as C) about putting things in her mouth. She kept saying, "that's disgusting," and "this is pretend food... not real food, that's gross!" And without any judgment, I just felt sad for the baby. Of course putting things in your mouth is gross. No doubt I find it disgusting when I turn around and find C chomping on a shoe or Maizey's toys. But, he's a baby! He's supposed to be exploring things with his mouth! It just breaks my heart that we are so worried about germs and obesity and child protective services that our kids can't be kids anymore.


As I start to think about preschool and which route I want to take with C (I can't believe it's even time to start thinking about this!) I feel so strongly that I just want him to be allowed to be a kid. Preschool is just that.. PREschool and I want him to play and run and get dirty. I want him to learn to tie his shoes, not how to complete a worksheet. I want him to learn to share, not how to recite the alphabet backward while standing on his head.

I certainly don't have all the answers, and I'm sure Cam will have his share of broken bones and illnesses because I let him crawl on public floors (gasp!) and climb up on anything. I don't think we have to say "no" all the time, and I don't think we have to keep our kids in a safe bubble. I believe we can be smart about they way we let our kids explore their world. I don''t want to imagine a world where Cam doesn't know what it's like to fly up so high in the air and crash down on a bouncy trampoline squealing with delight.

I am a big believer in "when you know better, you do better," but at some point, can't we just let kids be kids??

And, to avoid a pictureless post.. here are a few random ones from the past few days!

Loves playing with Daddy!

Fall walks are here!!

 


Starting to put him to work :)

2 comments: