A Dose of Happiness

A Dose of Happiness

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Chicago

Man, I love this city. Like, I really love it here. It took me a little while to admit it because deep down I always thought I'd want to end up back in the south -- far away from snow and freezing temperatures. But, I fell in love with this city and if you've ever been here, you can understand why.

I love that this city has little neighborhood nestled in the big city. I love that our street is quiet and calm in the morning, but busy with kids and trucks and noise as the day goes on.

I love that I can walk to a Walgreens, Starbucks, and my dry cleaners.  Really, whatever I need is within walking distance. Growing up in Austin, the only place that was walkable was your mailbox, so I really appreciate this part of city living.

I love that our neighbors are our friends and that our friends are our neighbors.

I love that we have parks and dog runs and trees and grass. But, I also love the gorgeous skyscrapers and touristy double-decker buses that drive around town.

And, I love the seasons. I love watching Maizey run in the snow that matches her coat so perfectly. I love the music and food festivals that take place every weekend in the Summer. I love the way people wear shorts when Spring peeks through at a crisp fifty degrees.

I love that Cam will grow up not only learning about diversity but living it. I love that he'll grow up in a city where differences aren't just tolerated but celebrated.

I love that he will grow up thinking it's normal for a zoo to be in the middle of the city.

I love the life we have built here, and I have learned to tolerate the ridiculously cold winters because there's no other place I can imagine living. One day we'll probably move out to the suburbs, but for now, Chicago is home. Now, to only convince the rest of our family to move here...



September 2012 (Taken at the Lincoln Park Zoo)

No comments:

Post a Comment