A Dose of Happiness

A Dose of Happiness

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A Special Wish

Well, call me crazy but it's time to knock off another item on my 30 Before 30 list. So here's the story:

Some days, I miss working with my students. Some days, I miss my internships I held in college for organizations that helped sick children and made impacts in our world far beyond a classroom. But, I really love being at home with my baby and have no desire to split my time between him and a job. So my craving for making an impact in the world and my desire to continue being Campbell's primary caregiver poses a bit of a challenge.

I've been researching and thinking and throwing ideas out to Rick constantly over the last couple of months. I even secured a website domain name to start my own non-profit one night, just to wake up the next morning and cancel it because I realized I'm crazy for thinking I can start an organization and raise my child in the same manner I'm doing now. I'm a dreamer.

After a lot of research and reaching out to various groups, I finally have joined a non-profit organization called A Special Wish Foundation (Chicago Chapter). I went to my first meeting last night and immediately was welcomed by the small, completely volunteer-run group. I was hoping I wouldn't feel like just one of a mass, sitting on the sidelines listening to a head honcho lead a meeting. And I was so pleased when I arrived at the little bar where the group met and everyone introduced themselves to me and told me about their history and goals. They shared a few stories of recent wishes that had been granted, and then presented a couple of kids whose wishes needed granting. One of the guys asked if I wanted to help him grant a wish for an eighteen year old boy who has cerebral palsy and various seizure disorders and is confined to a wheelchair. He wants to go to Disney World. I immediately said yes, and will be meeting this young man and his family next week to start the planning!

I feel so energized and excited about this. It's a well established national organization but its Chicago chapter is intimate and completely volunteer run, which means everyone wants to be there. It's small enough that you get to dive right in and do good work, but large enough that I'm not overwhelmed with taking on too much more responsibility in my already chaotic life. And, it's the exact kind of work I was looking for -- I get to work hands-on with some really special children.

So, farewell #5. I couldn't be more thrilled to cross you off!

5. Get involved in a new organization

1 comment:

  1. I love this, Gillian! I really admire you for following your gut and your heart and putting yourself out there. A lot of times I have an urge for something like this, and then just make excuses as to why "now is not a good time." Um. . . there will probably never be a "good time," so why not go for it?! I cannot wait to hear more about your involvement with this Make A Wish Chapter. :)

    ReplyDelete