A Dose of Happiness

A Dose of Happiness

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

My Not So Traditional Resolutions

A new year means a fresh start, a clean slate. That's what we all love about it, right? A chance to forgive ourselves for our mistakes of last year and look forward to new memories and opportunities for growth.

I hate new year's resolutions for so many reasons but mostly because they are usually abstract or unattainable or I'm not held accountable for them and fail to stick with them. I am usually hesitant to go out of my comfort zone, I tend to find excuses to get out of achieving my resolutions and in the end I just feel bad about myself. So, instead, I have a new idea for my "resolution" this year...

In a couple of weeks, I will turn 29 years old. Kind of hard to believe I'm almost thirty. I used to think thirty was so old. What did I know!?! I've caught wind of people who are making "30 Before 30" lists, and as a way of marking my last year in my twenties, I thought it would be a great idea to make my own list. Call it a bucket list or thirty resolutions, but I'm excited about it and think this will be a fun way for me to accomplish some important things.

It has taken me a long time to come up with this list. It's a combination of things I've been wanting to do, things that I need to do, and things I should do to break out of my comfort zone. To be honest, some of these things truly frighten me (#4!!). But, I'm excited and feeling empowered and ready to tackle this year with everything I got.

Here's what I hope to accomplish by the time I turn thirty (January 2014):
  1. Go an entire week without straightening my hair
  2. Go to a movie by myself
  3. Read a book from high school that I never actually read
  4. Wear a bikini for the first time. EVER.
  5. Get involved in a new organization
  6. Get my eyebrows threaded
  7. Pay for someone's meal anonymously
  8. Reconnect with an old friend
  9. Go unplugged for an entire day (no internet or TV)
  10. Try snowboarding
  11. Dress up and have drinks/dinner at the Drake Hotel
  12. Visit the Holocaust Museum in Skokie, IL
  13. Sing karaoke in public
  14. Go to a Chicago landmark I haven't visited
  15. Surprise someone
  16. Submit a recipe for the Pillsbury bake off
  17. Eat oysters
  18. Visit somewhere new (city, state or country)
  19. Organize something I've been neglecting
  20. Try a new class at the gym
  21. Watch 5 movies on Rick's Must-See List
  22. Take Cam on a special mommy-son date
  23. Go camping
  24. Learn about a relative/ancestor I don't know much about
  25. Grow an herb garden
  26. Take a class to pursue an interest
  27. Attend a new Summer Chicago festival
  28. Get a spray tan
  29. Ride the ferris wheel at Navy Pier
  30. Let go of insecurities and be truly content with who I am

I'll expect my friends and family to help me achieve these, so don't be surprised if I call you and ask you to join me on an adventure. And, as a means of holding myself accountable, I'll be sharing my progress so you can watch me cross off my items one by one!

Happy 2013!!

5 comments:

  1. I love this list!! I wish I would have made a list like this before I turned 30. Maybe I should do a 35 before 35 list?? I always get my eyebrows threaded instead of waxing. It hurts at first but if you keep at it you get used to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was also going to say. . . If you have never been to Houston, Texas (or Sugar Land to be exact) you should totally come visit! We could show you around and have a great time! :)

      Delete
    2. You should most definitely do a 35 Before 35 list! And while I have been to Houston a few times, I'd still love to come visit sometime! I have a few trips to Austin planned this year so maybe we'll take a road trip one day :) And then you can come to Chicago!

      Delete
  2. Gill - I have the BEST threading place! We can make a date to go with the boys and take turns entertaining them while we both get them done. Plus, it's only $5 :) Love this list idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um yes! I am NERVOUS about the threading but so want to do it. And, $5!?!? Sign me up!

      Delete