A Dose of Happiness

A Dose of Happiness

Friday, January 11, 2013

#19

At the beginning of the year, I posted my not-so-traditional resolutions list of thirty things I want to accomplish in the next year (before the big 3-0!) Call me an overachiever, but I'm ready to cross one off my list!

#19. Organize something I've been neglecting. 

I consider myself a pretty organized person. My house is typically tidy and if a closet gets too unruly or the pantry is exploding with boxes of cereal and crackers, I spend a quick twenty minutes every now and again cleaning it up. I have a serious problem walking into a Container Store and not walking out empty handed.

But, the car is another story. I take full responsibility for caring for the car because I use it most. While I'll ask Rick to fill the washer fluid or check a tire, I'm the one who schedules maintenance check ups, gets it washed, and gets the oil changed. I'm also the one who throws piles of clothes in the trunk to take to a donation site and leaves them in there for weeks. I hoard toys for Cam in the car and collect reusable shopping bags which have been known to fill the entire trunk.

So, the car became the easy target for item number 19 on my list. Earlier this week, Cam and I went over to Rachel's to play with little Colin and organize our #26Acts collection for The Night Ministry. (Check out Rachel's post about what we collected! And, thank you to Sara, Allie, Anne and Mom for the incredibly generous donations you all made toward this fun project. You won't believe what I was able to bring over to Rachel's because of all your generosity!)

My trunk was full to the top of stuff to drop off, so finally emptying it out led me to the conclusion it was time to organize the car. The boys checked out all the goods...

photo courtesy of Rachel Friedman

So, on Wednesday, while Cam napped, I took the monitor outside with me as the sun was shining and the crisp 54 degree day breezed by. (Is it Spring!? I'm so confused by this weather!) I brought items inside that belonged in the house, put all the garbage in the trash and even vacuumed out the crumbs and leaves. All the grocery bags are tucked neatly inside a larger one and our little umbrella stroller is the only occupant of the trunk at this time. High five to me.

I'm going to cross this one off the list because that's why I love lists most. Crossing things off. Putting a big check next to a task. It's gratifying in the most inexplicable way.


  1. Go an entire week without straightening my hair
  2. Go to a movie by myself
  3. Read a book from high school that I never actually read
  4. Wear a bikini for the first time. EVER.
  5. Get involved in a new organization
  6. Get my eyebrows threaded
  7. Pay for someone's meal anonymously
  8. Reconnect with an old friend
  9. Go unplugged for an entire day (no internet or TV)
  10. Try snowboarding
  11. Dress up and have drinks/dinner at the Drake Hotel
  12. Visit the Holocaust Museum in Skokie, IL
  13. Sing karaoke in public
  14. Go to a Chicago landmark I haven't visited
  15. Surprise someone
  16. Submit a recipe for the Pillsbury bake off
  17. Eat oysters
  18. Visit somewhere new (city, state or country)
  19. Organize something I've been neglecting
  20. Try a new class at the gym
  21. Watch 5 movies on Rick's Must-See List
  22. Take Cam on a special mommy-son date
  23. Go camping
  24. Learn about a relative/ancestor I don't know much about
  25. Grow an herb garden
  26. Take a class to pursue an interest
  27. Attend a new Summer Chicago festival
  28. Get a spray tan
  29. Ride the ferris wheel at Navy Pier
  30. Let go of insecurities and be truly content with who I am

But, I think I'm going to keep this goal and try to do it monthly. Pick something I've been neglecting (oh guest room...) and spend twenty minutes organizing it.

One down... twenty-nine to go!

1 comment:

  1. "I love lists most. Crossing things off. Putting a big check next to a task. It's gratifying in the most inexplicable way."

    Girl - we are meant to be friends. :)

    ReplyDelete