The World's Best Chicken (according to someone on Pinterest)
(original recipe: http://rachelschultz.com/2012/07/11/worlds-best-chicken)
This was really yummy and easy to make (only three ingredients!) Rick isn't a huge mustard fan but still really enjoyed this.
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Salt & pepper
Rosemary
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a small bowl, mix together mustard, syrup, and vinegar. Place chicken breasts into 9×13 greased baking dish. Season with salt & lots of pepper. Pour mustard mixture over chicken. Make sure each breast is coated. No need to marinate.
Bake for about 30-40 minutes, or until meat thermometer reads 165 degrees. Exactly how long you should leave it in is based on personal preference and your oven. I like my chicken borderline dried out, so I leave it in the full 40 minutes, and sometimes even bump the heat up to 450 degrees to really get the flavors baked on. (Line your pan with foil to keep clean up easy!) There will be extra sauce in the pan, which you can elect to toss out or use for extra flavoring. Season with chopped rosemary. And prepare for people to ask you to make it again!
Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa
(original recipe: http://www.closetcooking.com/2012/11/cheesy-broccoli-quinoa.html)
Okay so this one is also SUPER simple and was a great side dish to the chicken last night. I can imagine a lot of variations (subbing different cheeses, adding some red pepper flakes for kick, etc.) and look forward to experimenting with this one! I used chicken broth because that's what I had in my pantry, and I think it added a great flavor as opposed to water.
Ingredients
- 1 cup quinoa, well rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup cheddar, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
Directions
- Bring the quinoa, broth and broccoli to a boil over medium heat, reduce the heat and simmer covered until the broth has been absorbed and the quinoa is tender,about 13-17 minutes.
- Mix in the cheese, let it melt and season with salt and pepper.
Gill's Pinterest Salmon
(combination/variation of these two recipes: http://pinterest.com/pin/279363983107179126 and http://pinterest.com/pin/279363983107179122)
I was intrigued by the use of nuts in one of the recipes and the use of herbs de provence (a mixture of spices that I bought a long time ago for another recipe). They've been sitting in my pantry and I wanted to use them! I think my modifications turned out well. I liked the tang that the mustard gave and the crunch of the cashews. I'm sure you could use whatever nut you had on hand or breadcrumbs if you are allergic to nuts. This was a fun experimentation!
Ingredients (Note: I did not use measurements. So, use your judgment)
salmon
herbs de provence
olive oil
cashews
dijon mustard
First, crush the cashews using a rolling pin and a ziploc bag. Then, rub some olive oil on the salmon (or use olive oil PAM). Sprinkle some herbs de provence on the salmon. Using a butter knife or spatula, spread dijon mustard on the salmon -- enough to cover but not saturating. Then press the crushed cashews onto the salmon to form a coating.
Bake at 400 for about twenty minutes or until cooked to your desired taste.
PS -- if you eat salmon regularly like we do, and you don't already buy your salmon at Costco, you should. The piece of salmon I bought today cost $11.54 and I was able to cut five portions from it. I normally cut them into portion sizes when I come home then freeze them individually. I think Costco's quality is excellent and the value can't be beaten.
Happy cooking everyone!


I am so stealing the chicken and quinoa recipes. Looks simple enough to try and healthy too. Yum. I will let you know how it turns out. I LOVE salmon too but not sure I am confident enough to cook fish just yet. Haha.
ReplyDeleteDo you buy your quinoa in the bulk bins at the store? I have only bought it in a prepackaged box.
I bought the quinoa in a box from Trader Joes! I have not bought in bulk yet. Enjoy!!
ReplyDelete