A Dose of Happiness

A Dose of Happiness

Monday, December 6, 2010

Day 34: Ugly Cookies and Pretty Christmas Trees

On Sunday, Rick and I were invited to Elliott's house to decorate the Mathews Christmas tree. I decided to bake homemade sugar cookies for the first time to bring over. I've always bought the Pillsbury dough from the refrigerated section, and thought this year I'd take a stab at true holiday cookies.

Well, let me just say that's probably the last time I'll be doing that. I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I consider myself to be a pretty talented baker. Until yesterday. Seriously, these Hanukkah cookies that I attempted to make were the ugliest cookies that have come out of my oven. So you may ask, why did these horrendous cookies make the happiness blog? Well, although the cookies were disastrous, I got to bake with my mom for the first time in years. I truly can't remember the last time the two of us rolled up our sleeves and got messy in the kitchen. I felt like a kid again, and it felt good.


I brought the ugly cookies to Kate and Andy's and we decorated their tree together. I love that we get to do that with them each year. It's a tradition I never experienced as a child, but since living in Chicago, it has become one of my favorite family events. The Christmas music fills the house, the tree glows with lights, and the ornaments are carefully placed in their perfect positions. Rick was particularly meticulous this year about the placement of ornaments and Elliott was finally old enough to enjoy putting up his own.

On our way home, Rick dropped the Tupperware of extra ugly cookies and most of them broke. It's really a blessing actually, as now we can forget the Baking Disaster of 2010. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment