A Dose of Happiness

A Dose of Happiness

Monday, January 10, 2011

Day 70: Beat It!

All in all, today was a pretty good day. Had a great cup of coffee this morning. A great car ride to school with Ades, and a great day with the kids. No one cried (not even me!), everyone made it home alive, and I even got home before the sun set.

For the past week, I've barely managed to muster the strength to get out of bed, nevermind cook a decent meal. So, poor Rick has been forced to eat frozen dinners or call the local Thai place. Today, I'm finally feeling like myself again (thanks again, Neti Pot!).  I haven't been to the grocery store in nearly two weeks, so when I decided to cook dinner tonight, I rummaged through the pantry, found a few items that looked like they might go together, and VIOLA! Dinner is served.

The "happy" part of my day today -- slamming the meat tenderizer against the chicken breasts. I don't know why, but man I had fun doing that today. I really don't have anything to be angry about, but it just felt good. I probably hit that chicken a few times more than necessary, but I'm pretty sure I just discovered the cheapest therapy known to man.

Dinner didn't turn out too bad, either. So I'm posting my "Pantry Chicken" recipe for you all to try, tweak or disregard.


Gill's Pantry Chicken 

Ingredients: 
2 chicken breasts 
Some oregano
Some basil 
Some grated parmesan cheese
One can of diced tomatoes
One can of artichokes
Olive Oil 
2 garlic cloves
PAM Spray 
Salt
Pepper

Heat oven to 350. 

BEAT chicken breasts until flat. Go crazy and have fun! 

Heat olive oil (maybe a tablespoon?) in a skillet. Add can of tomatoes, artichokes, some basil, some oregano and garlic. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Heat through. Put mixture in bowl and add some parmesan.

Put a few spoonfuls of mixture on flattened chicken breasts, then fold chicken and secure with a toothpick. Spray bottom of baking dish with PAM and place chicken breasts in dish seam-side down. Put a little salt and pepper on chicken, then pour remainder of tomato mixture on top of chicken breasts. Sprinkle with some parmesan cheese. 

Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes or until fully cooked. 

I'm sure this recipe would have been MUCH better with real tomatoes, fresh basil and oregano, and freshly chopped garlic. But, Pantry Chicken is no fancy chicken :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment