It's a term I coined, and though Rick may have issues with civilians creating new words (see refudiationnation.blogspot.com), I feel the word merits attention.
We have celebrated our dateversary (well, mostly I have forced Rick to celebrate it) each year in style. We would go on fancy dinner dates, we bought gifts for each other and rehashed that first weekend we met in 2005. On our first dateversary after we got married, Rick told me that he didn't feel like we needed to mark this momentous event anymore. He said we now had a "real" anniversary. I reacted as anyone would expect -- I was devastated. I'm pretty sure he could see my heart sink into my stomach as the tears welled up. It took all of 30 seconds for him to retract his statement. We agreed that we didn't need to do fancy dinners or exchange presents, but that weekend was too important (to me) to not celebrate.
This framed picture is on our bedroom dresser and I look at it everyday. It's not the greatest picture of us. My eyes are squinty, and Rick's hair looks like he just rolled out of bed. But, it's a meaningful picture for many reasons. It's our first picture we ever took together. It was taken at the first Michigan football game we ever attended together. It was taken exactly 5 years ago today, on the weekend we met for the first time -- on our dateversary.
So while June 27 is our official anniversary, and what I consider to be the greatest day of my life thus far, I will never forget the butterflies I felt on November 18. And, I hope I never do.
No comments:
Post a Comment